January is here, and it’s time to embrace the spirit of Get Organized Month!
This unique holiday is all about decluttering, tidying up, and starting the year on a fresh note.
It’s a fantastic opportunity for older adults and family caregivers to engage in a light-hearted yet productive activity.
So, let’s jump in and explore how you can make the most out of this quirky holiday!
History Of Get Organized Month
Get Organized Month, also known as GO Month, was established by the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) in 2005.
The main aim behind creating this holiday was to promote the benefits of getting organized and to encourage individuals to take control of their surroundings.
For seniors, this can be particularly beneficial as it helps in creating a safer and more comfortable living space.
Importance Of Get Organized Month For Seniors
As we age, our living spaces tend to accumulate items, some of which may no longer serve a purpose.
Get Organized Month serves as a perfect reminder for seniors to declutter and organize their homes.
This not only creates a safer environment, reducing the risk of trips and falls, but also helps in boosting mental clarity and reducing stress.
A well-organized space can contribute significantly to an improved quality of life for older adults.
Tips On How Older Adults Can Celebrate Get Organized Month
- Start Small: Choose a specific area or room to start with. It could be a drawer, a closet, or even just a corner of a room.
- Sort and Categorize: Separate items into categories – keep, donate, and discard.
- Involve Family or Friends: Make it a fun activity by involving family members or friends. It’s a great way to spend quality time together.
- Take Your Time: Don’t rush the process. Take breaks and spread the activity over several days if needed.
- Safety First: Ensure that the space is safe and accessible. Remove any tripping hazards and make sure that frequently used items are easily reachable.